Blog Archive

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Brampton's Sport Spike: The Beginning


Rhododendron Gardens, Brampton, ON
December 28, 2012

“If you asked me last year if I ever though Brampton could start the year with 17 wins and just two losses, I would have said you're crazy,” said Marcus Bell, shortly after the Brampton Ravens' latest game, taking it in with his friend, real estate developer Spike Ryan.
“The Ravens are putting this city on the map,” concurred Ryan. “They've been a real success story.”
“To think...we've been in Toronto's shadow all this time...now, I hope, we're finally able to break away from it.”
“I can feel it...this is our year. My brother Rock has finally given them stability on defence, so Nicklas Backstrom doesn't have to do it all himself. This team finally has balance man...we're going to do it.”
Bell grimaced slightly. “Let's not get ahead of ourselves, champ. We haven't won anything yet.”
“One day we will, and one day, I'm going to transform this city into a hub of sports and entertainment...I want this city to be more than just 'The Flower City'.”
Bell laughed. “I agree on Flower City...that sounds like we're all a bunch of hippies.” Bell then became serious before continuing. “How, though, do you expect to make Brampton a sports town? We're too close to Toronto to do that.”
“I'm a visionary, Marcus. This is a city that is growing...they don't want to be just another suburb of Toronto.” Spike's voice grew with intensity as he spoke, belying his passion. “They want to be their own city. This is a city of diversity...we have the world and a world of ideas at our fingertips.” He excitedly grabbed Bell’s shoulders. “We can figure this out, Marcus...we can figure this out!”
Bell deadpanned dismissively. “Just like that Justin Bieber Amusement Park.”
“I'm never going to live that one down, am I?”
“Nope.”
Spike sighed before readopting his positive tone. He put his arm around Bell and beamed a big smile. “Well this time,” he said, before a dramatic pause, “it's going to be different. Trust me!” Bell shook his head, disbelieving, but thought better of pressing the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers